Who do you call?

19 05 2017

When to call 911
–       Violent crime or property crime in progress or suspects were seen fleeing (description and last direction of travel)
–       There is evidence at the scene of the crime (Sexual assault)
–       Car accident with injuries.
–       Dangerous or impaired driving and you are following, or JUST witnessed and have a description and last direction of travel.
–       Fire or medical emergency.

When to call 613-236-1222
–       Suspicious activity or vehicle.
–       Alcohol and drug use in public (youth in parks)
–       Youth under age of 16 out between midnight and 06:00 AM.

When to call 613-236-1222 Ext. 7300 or attend any Police Station
–       Reporting to the Police after the fact.
–       Any damage to house, yard, or vehicle (not in progress).
–       Traffic complaints – general or specific.
–       Disputes for record purposes (i.e neighbour, stalking, civil when fear exist).
–       Sexual assault reported at a later date where the evidence is long gone – must attend the station to provide a written statement.
When to make an online report
–       Theft (under $5000)
–       Lost property (under $5000 with a visible serial number or distinct marking such as a custom engraving)
–       Mischief/Damage to property (under $5000)
–       Theft from vehicle (under $5000)
–       Traffic complaints – general or specific.

When to call 311
–       Any by-law issue or any general city enquiry.
–       Call about a noise problem as it is happening or the next day.
–       Individuals in the parks between 11:00 PM and 06:00 AM.
–       Note that by-law closes at 02:00 AM on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays and at midnight on weeknights. Summer hours are till 02:00 AM every day. You can call the Police after these hours at 613-230-6211.

All of these avenues of action are completely confidential. You can always reinforce that you do not wish an officer attend your address, but that you can be called privately. When reporting to the Police, remember to ask for the incident number related to your call.

Cst. Jeff Kostuch, 1579
Ottawa Police Service/Service de police d’Ottawa
Community Safety Services/services de sécurité de proximité
West CPC / CPC Ouest
613-236-1222 ext.2347