Meeting Minutes

Community Meetings

WLRT Information Session, 14 December 2015
Byron Traffic Calming Consultation, 29 May 2016

Meetings of the MPCA Executive

18 June 2015
13 July 2015
10 August 2015
9 September 2015
5 October 2015
9 November 2015
4 January 2016
1 February 2016
7 April 2016
2 May 2016
6 June 2016
10 August 2016
8 September 2016
3 October 2016
7 November 2016
6 February 2017


February 6, 2017 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Attendees: Sybil Powell, Dan O’Hagan, Nadia Thorne, Rob McCrae

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website
1. Parks – update on last session of Councillor Leiper’s consultation, what is currently scheduled for MP and Tillbury in next three years and Councillor Leiper’s next and final meeting. Next meeting in March 2017

2. Richmond Rd Complete Street and Byron Linear Path consultation
-Discussed the implications of the city’s proposal to close Byron at Lockhart
Action: Sybil to ask complete streets prime to meet with Condo members

3. Byron Rd. Calming measures
4. Zoning Cleary to New Orchard Bryon and RR, Kristy’s, Fan Plant
5. Sherbourne progress on getting speed reduced
6. Community Police – community prime name to be posted on website & to be invited to AGM/Fall Fairs
7. Fall Fair
Action: Sybil to contact Tina to have meeting in April

8. Incorporation
Reviewed Stella`s proposed plan for Incorporation
Action: Rob to contact FCA for association bylaws examples & learnings
Action: Sybil to contact Councillor Leiper
Action: Sybil to contact Dovercourt as headquarters
Action: Sybil/Dan/Lesley to review bylaws
Action: Sybil to ask Stella re-use of new bylaws and when new regulations in force
Action: Plan bylaw review meeting for May 2017

9. Other – FCA
Action: Rob to review FCA membership payment

10. Next meeting – Next meeting in April 2017


November 7, 2016 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Attendees: Sybil Powell, Dan O’Hagan, Lesley Taylor, Nadia Thorne, Rob McCrae, Larry Murphy, Julie DeMole

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website

1. Introduction

2. Discussion of roles
President – Sybil Powell
Deputy – TBD
Treasurer – Rob McCrae
Secretary – Nadia Thorne

3. Social-Media: Website, Facebook, Twitter, and blog. We need someone to take on the task of keeping these updated.
Action: Julie/Lesley to follow up with Rich for full list of social-media.

4. Updates from studies in area:

A. Byron traffic calming – Tina Casey
Action: Request Speed display on Byron

B. RR complete streets – Rob McCrae
Proposal to reduce Richmond Road to 2 lanes from Richardson to Berkeley using a complete street model.
– Proposal includes wider sidewalks on the north side, adding cycling tracks and parking protected lanes.
– Concerns re concrete barrier between cycling lane and parking required by province on north-side of Richmond.
– Proposal to close off Redwood between Richmond and Byron.
– Proposal to have drop-off area on Byron for Cleary station
– Meeting request with Jeff Leiper to discuss 1) concerns about vehicular traffic crossing the bike lane on north side of Richmond Road 2) additional crosswalks on Richmond Road between Fraser and Cleary
– Next Public Consultation 6:30 November 15th at 1000 Byron (Ukranian Hall)

C. Cleary 100 ft. Mitigation group – Dan O’Hagan
Mitigation plans for 727 Richmond Road and 75 Cleary regarding impact due to new route of WLRT and associated 5 meter tall fan plant. Concerns have been raised with province regarding fan plant exclusion from the EA submission. Concerns also raised regarding vibration and requirement for slab through Cleary area.

D. Sherbourne – looking to start petition process to reduce speed to 40km on Sherbourne in line with Dovercourt. Need agreement with Carlingwood Community Association as shared road.

E. Zoning Cleary to New Orchard – Dan O’Hagan
Study initiated to amend zoning between Cleary and New Orchard for intensification Transit Oriented Development (TOD). Study to be completed by 2017.

F. Rochester Field – Lesley Taylor
Mayor has asked NCC to back and re-look at proposals.

5. Parks and 2017 – no update

6. Incorporation and Insurance – Stella Militano
Action: All members to review current bylaws posted on MPCA website

7. Other

A. MPCA Planning Prime
Action: MPCA Planning Prime – Lesley Taylor prime to interface with city planner for McKellar Park Community

B. OMB Town Hall Nov 9th

C. Urban Forest Management Plan
Draft available on city website and three more consultations planned
Action: All Review Urban Forest Management Plan draft


October 3, 2016 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attendees:  Sybil Powell, Tina Casey, Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Lesley Taylor, Nadia Thorne, Rob McCrae, Stella Militano

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website

1. Fall Festival wrap up
Outstanding items
Brief discussion of what worked and what didn’t. ( 99% worked)
– ~400 attendees, great partnerships with Dovercourt and Festival House, and great sponsorship
– Very positive experience
– All volunteer spots filled but could have used more
– Got word out about the Fall Fair early which turned into higher than anticipated attendance
Action: Debrief and lessons learned meeting this coming week
Suggestions:
Seating or hay bundles around bands
More food trucks
Water sale
Height sign for bouncy castle at ticket sale booth
Single ticket rolls
Food/drink delivery to volunteers
Action: Thank all sponsors via letters and on MCPA website

2. Request for cycling expert
Action: Rob McCrae to be proposed to cycling group as prime

3. Reports of sub-committees
Byron traffic calming
RR Complete Street
Cleary Mitigation – On-going discussion concerning the fan plant
Cleary to New Orchard
Sherbourne – New sidewalks being installed on Knightsbridge to connect to Keenan. Need to follow up with city planners to determine other safety/traffic initiatives planned.
Action: Sybil/Dan to review objections raised by residents concerning Cleary LRT fan plant
Action: Nadia to follow up with city planning to determine other safety/traffic initiatives planned.

4. Zoning contact – single point of contact as interface to city per community association
Action: to decide who will be the zone prime post AGM

5. Incorporation and insurance
Action: Review at post AGM first meeting

6. AGM
a. Format – 2 hours
b. Agenda Items:
– Agenda – 5 minutes
– President recaps the year – 15 minutes
– Fall Fair Report & Community Engagement– 10 minutes
– Treasurer report – 5 minutes
– Next three big challenges – LRT, zoning, traffic
– Election of Directors– 15 minutes
– Jeff Leiper – 20 minutes
– Q&A – 15 minutes
c. Election of the Executive – Sybil, Lesley, Rob, Tina would need to run for re-election with 2-3 more vacancies
d. Other
Action – blurb from each committee – Byron, fall fair, LRT, Richmond road, cleary to new orchard working group, Sherbourne
Action: Sybil request 50 chairs

7. Other


September 8, 2016 Meeting of the MCPA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attendees: Sybil Powell, Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Lesley Taylor, Rob McCrae, Stella Militano

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website

1. Banking – Signees met at bank and completed Bank signature process and assignment of Treasurer.

2. AGM – Date is October 17,2016 from 7:30pm to 9:30pm at the McKellar Park Fieldhouse. Jeff Leiper will be speaker.

4. WLRT related subcommittees / issues
Byron – update in Fall
Richmond Rd – update in Fall
Cleary mitigation – ongoing
Cleary – New Orchard – ongoing
Special LRT Implementation Richmond/Byron public consultation September 14th at 6pm, Ukrainian Orthodox Church, 1000 Byron Avenue

5. Fall fair – Posters being published, info has been posted on website and Facebook site. Budget completed, invoices have been sent for donations. 2 boxes and a variety of signs have been retrieved from a former board member.

6. Westboro Market – We will have a table at the Market on September 24th. Need to bring chairs. Purpose is to publicize Fall Fair and AGM and to answer questions about our community association.

7. Sherbourne study –
Action: Nadia to follow with Jeff Leiper, Carlingwood Association and city prime

8. Communication Liaison with City – Agreed to identify one person who will liaise with City.


August 10, 2016 Meeting of the MCPA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attendees: Sybil Powell, Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Lesley Taylor, Nadia Thorne, Rob McCrae, Stella Militano

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website

1. Banking – Motion to change Treasurer and Bank Signature passed. Rob McCrae to assume role as treasurer from Leslie. Signees to change to Rob, Stella and Nadia.
Action: Signees to meet at bank to complete Bank signature process and assignment of Treasurer.

2. Rosemount Library – send statement of support of Rosemount library to community association
Action: Dan to send wording. Sybil to send statement

3. AGM – To be discussed at next meeting

4. WLRT related subcommittees/ issues
Byron – update in Fall
Richmond Rd – update in Fall
Cleary mitigation – next meeting Aug 25th
Cleary- New Orchard – next meeting in September

5. Fall fair – email to sent next week

6. Westboro BIA – send statement to indicate no objection to initiative
Action: Stella to send statement

7. Sherbourne study
Action: Nadia to follow with Jeff Leiper, Carlingwood Association and city prime


June 6, 2016 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attending: Sybil Powell, Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Lesley Taylor, Nadia Thorne, Rob McCrae

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website

1. Sherbourne traffic calming– Nadia
CCA/MCPA/Ecology Ottawa primes setting up joint meeting with Carlingwood and Kitchissipi ward councillors.

2. Byron traffic calming– Tina
New draft of Byron Traffic Calming proposal available for feedback to working group. June 16th presentation of Byron Traffic Calming survey results as well as draft design to public for feedback. Comments by June 30th.
Action: Rich to post notice to MPCA website re comments by June 30th

3. Richmond Rd. Complete Street-Trish Blackstaffe and Rob who is representing 635 RR
First public consultation/kick-off June 4th – at early stage in design gathering data.
Target September for draft design and public consultation.
Action: Identify concerns by July MCPA monthly meeting

4. Cleary alignment WLRT Stg.2 committee-Sybil and Dan who is representing 701 RR
First public consultation/kick-off June 4th – at early stage in design gathering data.
June 21st working group meeting for residents surrounding Cleary station

5. Cleary to New Orchard Planning Study– Dan
First public consultation/kick-off June 4th – at early stage in design gathering data.
Working group first meeting on June 14th.

6. Zoning Liason with City
Action: Lesley now prime for MCPA

7. Stg.2 connectivity study

8. Fall Fair– Stella
Action: MCPA executive to join Google group – Rich to ask Stella to send invite

9. 2017– Stella

10. Kristy’s – deadline for comments is June 9th
Action: MCPA to submit concerns online

11. Environment Assessment WLRT2– Draft EA available for review

12. Coach Houses– Nadia and Rich
Working group meeting held to review online feedback and seek further feedback. Draft document being revised based on feedback.
Action: Nadia to send notes and forwarded slides

13. AGM date– Sybil
Action: Target 1st week of October – Sunday evening

14. FCA– Lesley

15. Police service consultation – register for consultation meeting Tuesday June 7th or Wednesday June 8th or send feedback online
Action: MCPA to fill out online feedback

16. Province/City is considering closing 417 on ramp on Carling west of Westgate
Action: MCPA would like to see rational why that ramp is planned to be closed especially in view of proposed redevelopment plans for Westgate.

Next meeting – proposed Monday July 4th


Byron Traffic Calming Consultation

May 29, 2016 – McKellar Park Community Centre

Speakers:
Jeff Leiper
Justin Swan

Agenda:
1. Byron Traffic Calming Initiative
2. Q & A

Minutes:
1. Jeff:

  • Direction initiative in going is generally pleased with

2. Justin Swan:

  • Online survey is closed and consolidating the data
  • Several projects on-going in this neighborhood
  • WLRT still in planning stage
  • Richmond complete streets – Sir John A to beginning of Westboro village design to be continuous
  • Byron project more short term Sherbourne to Island Park
  • June 4th meeting public consultation
  • Area traffic management – city wide budget with problems prioritized based on severity
  • Previous McKellar Park study controversial
  • This study not looking at traffic re-routing
  • Study being extended to Woodroffe but funding not be applied to extension to Woodroffe at this time
  • 128 collisions in 5 years mostly rear ends but more severe accidents at Roosevelt – some traffic/safety mitigation now already in place at Roosevelt intersection
  • June 4th consultation with major detail rollout June 16th
  • 18% of through volumes are cyclist most on the road itself – very high

Concepts:

  • Cross walks, bump outs, speed bumps curb reductions at corners to reduce size of cross walks
  • Green cycling lanes, advisory lanes where roads narrow (used in Europe)

Survey:

  • 750 people responded to survey – 3000 comments
  • 70-80% from immediate area
  • Comments on the new concept of advisory lanes
  • FAQ list published on city website
  • Byron will not be reconstructed like for example Churchill
  • Project has limited funding that will be reallocated if not spent and can cover some paint and only roadwork for a few traffic-calming measures.
  • Questions about traffic and street parking associated with business near Bryon/Golden – visibility & parking on Golden. Safety issues related to pedestrian and cyclist from behavior of cars.
  • Visibility at corner of Byron/Redwood/Richmond request a four way stop
  • Byron very narrow at Golden, Roosevelt – very unsafe to cyclists
  • Concern that the traffic will move from Byron to Richmond may actually push the traffic onto to side streets like Keenan.
  • Suggestion example Blvd de la cite Desjeunse in east side of Gatineau park – both directions of cyclist on one side with least interaction on Byron park side south side
  • Suggestion to consideration for angled parking on Byron as well as Richmond – used in Germany
  • Considering removal of some parking
  • Narrow width of Byron and state of shoulders along Linear Park won’t support two way single band of cyclist route
  • Advisory lane being considered as alternative
  • Questions re transition to and from advisory lanes – example some done in US 4% road share. Advisory lanes intuitive but also need education on how to use them. Also look at connection to Churchill complete street.
  • Use of advisory lanes will be monitored to determine use and safety – lateral space between cars and bicycles and traffic speeds. Filming data as well.
  • Winter snow removal maintenance needs to be taken into consider as snow removal much more costly ie speed bumps and complete street. Example complete streets like Main costs 60% more to snow removal

4 categories of cyclist (study primarily targets 2 and 3):

  1. road warriors
  2. comfortable mixing with traffic
  3. cyclist but concerned about traffic
  4. novice cyclist

Next Steps:

  • June 4th Richmond Road Byron Corridor – Our Lady Of Fatima
  • June 16th Byron Traffic Calming Design Project – Our Lady Of Fatima
  • WLRT 2023 completion – design phase starting for Phase 2. Planning studies set the zoning rules around the stations. June 4th consultation start

May 2, 2016 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attending: Sybil Powell, Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Lesley Taylor, Nadia Thorne, Rob McCrae, Tina Casey

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website

1. Byron Avenue Re-design Meeting on May 29th
– Place booked – McKellar Park Fieldhouse at 7:15pm
– City planning project manager to speak regarding Byron study.
– Jeff Leiper to attend
– Flyer required and mention May 25th deadline for input to City of Ottawa
Action: Rich to prepare flyer. Sybil to print. Executive to post on roads.
Action: Sybil to request 50 chairs for meeting from Dovercourt
Action: Tina to request timeline for multiple initiatives from City Planning

2. Byron study – In progress
– Study scope Byron from Island Park to Sherbourne.
– May 25th deadline for input to City of Ottawa
– Community Advisory participation in place

3. Richmond Road Complete Street study – beginning
– A public consultation meeting will be held with the City of Ottawa on June 4th at Our Lady of Fatima to discuss Richmond Road Complete Street study
– Scale of the this initiative is extensive and important to the community
– Scope of study Berkley to Pinecrest Creek
– Community Advisory participation in place
– Documents will be posted on the city site in advance of the meeting

4. City zoning study Cleary to Old Orchard
– City starting to study LRT area intensification
– Study scope from Cleary to Old Orchard stations

5. Cleary station – Finance Committee (FEDCO) & City Council
– Meeting to be held May 3rd 2016
– Community to make presentations regarding proposed route and Fan Plant building and associated on-going train noise
Action: MCPA executive to express support of community concerns

6. Sherbourne report
– Final feedback being included
– Reword bump outs to more generic term
– Target release next week to MCPA executive then Ward Councillors, city planning and public

7. Building Parking study – City looking to revise minimum requirements for residential and commercial building parking.

8. City Coach House Zoning Study Meeting – May 17th 6-8pm
– Meeting to review City Coach House Zoning Study proposal
ActionNadia to attend

9. 2017 – report on efforts to hold an event
– 2017 blurb posted on MCPA website

10. Fall Fair – Google group created
Other ideas – movie nights, wading pool party, princess teas, butter tart contest, skating party

11. Other


April 7, 2016 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Meeting held at a member’s private residence

Attending: Sybil Powell, Rich Brandau, Tina Casey, Stella Militano, Dan O’Hagan
Guest: Rob McCrae

1. Rochester field

  • A survey and public consultation process has been launched by the NCC for the waterfront linear park including Rochester field.  We should expect to see development within 5 years.  The community, generally, does not know about the survey or plans.
  •  We should send a notice out on the blog.

2. Cleary realignment

  • The new alignment has been posted to the blog. 75 Cleary and 727 Richmond have been affected negatively by the new alignment as is passes mere metres from those structures. Concerns include: noise, vibrations, security, traffic and disruption during construction. Also a concern, a concrete structure meant to house a passive fan and emergency exit which will be located near the buildings.
  •  We should support efforts to mitigate these concerns.

3. Byron Traffic survey

  •  Advisory bike lanes are being considered for the McKellar Park part of Byron. There is a Public Advisory Meeting scheduled for May and a public meeting in June. Tina Will attend. The survey link has been posted to the blog and will be reposted at a later date.

4. Sherbourne Traffic Report with Ecology Ottawa

  •  We await a final draft

5. Incorporation and Insurance

  • We agree that we need this but we have no money. Sybill has compiled some sources of insurance, based on other community associations. We will have to improve fundraising before we can move forward with this.

6. Ottawa 2017 Celebrations

  • Money is available to community groups who wish to host celebrations in 2017. The city prefers that these celebrations take place on or near public holidays. We need an idea, volunteers and can apply for funds mid-June.

7. AGM

  •  AGM is booked for May 29th, but we are considering moving it to September and using that booking to host another event. Sybill and Tina will confirm if the Councillor and another guest speaker will be available.

8. City Study on Planning from Cleary to New Orchard

  •  The issues are height and density. Sybill, Dan and Rich will attend a meeting to find out more about the study on Monday.

9. Island Park Drive thru

  •  Agree to support Jeff Leiper’s letter opposing a drive thru on this site.

February 1, 2016 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attending: Sybil Powell, Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Lesley Taylor, Nadia Thorne

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website

1. Incorporation- legal and financial implications – follow-up re insurance costs
Action – Dan to follow up re insurance

2. AGM
– May 29th scheduled
– invite NCC to provide update re Rochester Field and Linear Park
Action – Rich/Jimmy to follow up with NCC

3. Sherbourne traffic study update:
Overview:
– Two weeks behind schedule – Final report to likely slip out to end of March 2016
– Additional student (Ogen Tsomo) and Ecology Ottawa prime (Robb Barnes) brought in to pull in schedule
– Currently collating the data (Ben Giroux) and researching City Plans (Ogen)
– Francois Belanger to be part of review/editorial team
– Robb out of town next 2 weeks

MPCA/Carlingwood Responsibilities:
– Review of draft document (collated data, key issues and interim recommendations)
– Input to final recommendations
– Final ok to release for publication (softcopy and minimal hardcopy – 10)
– Crafting of press release – or Ecology Ottawa
– Determine method of public release and feedback to constituents and press
– Ecology Ottawa suggested leveraging their media release list and mailing list
– MPCA prime interface to Jeff Leiper
Action – Need additional traffic study data from previous City Traffic Study. MPCA on wait list for new traffic study but not scheduled – Nadia/Dan
Action – Need to forward latest WLRT Phase 2 plans to Ecology Ottawa (background for report) – Nadia;
Action – Do we want the report to be translated?
Action – Determine MPCA & Carlingwood budget – Nadia

4. Byron – need for stop signs – no update

5. Fall Fair – no update

6. 2017 ideas – garage sale/food. FCA meeting Feb

7. WLRT – Update on EA process
– update on Rochester Field – decisions delayed until public consultation meeting – TBD
WLRT – no update

8. Next meeting – First week of April

9. Other


January 4, 2016 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attending: Sybil Powell, Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Lesley Taylor, Nadia Thorne, Stella Militano

0. Previous Minutes – Passed last meeting minutes and they can be posted on the website

1. WLRT meeting take aways (location/turn out/follow up)
– need more chairs for next large meeting
– good turnout but need to better communicate future meetings
– good information but more details would be appreciated
Action – Send email to Dovercourt re additional chairs for future meetings ie AGM – Sybil
Action – Contact city – Determine when next information session for phase 2 & environmental assessment. Follow up to find list of affected houses & Notice of commencement. Provide additional information re four lanes on Richmond. Also re Rochester Field proposed use – Dan

2. Sherbourne update and any action required
Action – Need to start advocating for stop signs in advance of LRT planning including Knightsbridge/Keenan, Byron/Wavell, Byron/Cleary/Sherbourne – Nadia

3. Byron –
Action – Need to start advocating for stop signs in advance of LRT planning including Knightsbridge/Keenan, Byron/Wavell, Byron/Cleary/Sherbourne – Tina

4. AGM –
Action – Book last Sunday in May 2016 – Sybil

5. Fall Fair
Options to have smaller venue – movie in the park, skating party with music, classical music in park, theatre in the park, dance in the park
Action – Find volunteers word of mouth & then post request for volunteers for Fall Fair

6. Trees – no current issues

7. FCA next meeting – Jan 13 FCA Dessert Levy. Next meeting Feb 4th – community & 2017
Action – Sybil/Lesley to attend Feb 4th

8. Finances
Action – Target to complete signature by end of Feb – Lesley

9. Homes being turned into student residences – student housing group. Meeting on Jan 17th
Action – Determine intent of initiative prior to feedback – Sybil

10. Incorporation –
Legal fees – $1250 + HST (potential to be waved)
Disbursements – > $155 +
Spoke with Champlain Park at FCA – Incorporation & insurance very important if presenting at OMB.
Director liability insurance – ~ City community association $300 +HST for $2 Million coverage
Action – Talk to other community groups & City of Ottawa
Action – needs to determine ongoing yearly cost

12. Ward meeting Jan. 12th at 5:30 PM at GCTC
Action – Sybil/Lesley/Dan to attend

13. Rochester Field
Action – Sybil to contact Westboro re communication with NCC

14. Other – none


WLRT Information Session

Dec 14, 2015 – McKellar Park Community Centre

Speakers

Jeff Leiper
Chris Swail
Damen Berlin
Jackie Leroue

Agenda
1. Ottawa LRT Stage 2 – McKellar Park WLRT Information Session
2. Q & A

Minutes
1. Jeff Leiper:

– City has approved.
– Environmental assessment underway
– Looking for provincial approval of the project

2. Chris Swail:
– The project team is at the stage of data collection for submission to the provincial approval authority
– The project scope is what was approved by the City of Ottawa council.
– Any changes to the scope or substantive alignment changes will require a resubmission to the City of Ottawa council (including for example any hypothetical change of where the line crosses Richmond Road).
– Council will have final approval of contract award, but not of RFP terms.
– The connection to the Ottawa airport is not included in the current project scope due to affordability.
– Additional funding from the province or the airport authority could allow the airport connect to be included in Phase 2.
– Intent to have most of Ottawa population connect to rail within 5km
– So far no hospitals will be directly connected in Phase 2.
– 100 day solution – 3km buried tunnel
– Cleary station will be fully buried
– New Old Orchard station will be below grade
– The parkway road will be re-aligned closer to the houses – suggestion to change grading to reduce car noise.
– January 2016 environment report draft to be prepared
– 120 day consultation period
– Environment report draft to be submitted to province with 30 days public consultation to write to province
–  The EA process is, in effect, open to everyone when the Notice of commencement is given early next year. They will notify “stakeholders” but anyone who wants to be on the list of those notified can add their name.
– Agency and stakeholders will include community associations. Notices will be sent to the affected stakeholders within 30 metres of affected area.
– Construction near sensitive receivers (notably Unitarian House & daycare) will have special consideration (specific threshold for sound and vibration), according to specifications those parties and the city work out prior to RFP.
– Cleary station will be built on NCC land and have the same look and feel as phase 1 stations
– Trying to avoid cars driving down Cleary to drop off passengers at Cleary station
– There will be 5 year construction timeline 2018-2023. Dates for specific station construction will be defined in planning stage Q42016-Q12017.
– Richmond road will be affected west of Cleary. Looking at having Richmond Road be a more complete street, first west of Cleary (part of the WLRT project footprint), then perhaps between Cleary and Golden.
– Connectivity study.
– NCC looking at buried tunnel land as part of parkland.
– Discussion with NCC for allowing busing on parkway in both east and west directions during construction beyond current use, to re-route buses.
– Potential to detour/re-route traffic from Richmond to Byron as a temporary measure block by block as part of staged construction.
– 2 construction seasons to move through the McKellar park corridor
– Although comments for the city will be shared with NCC, comments can be directly sent to NCC as well.
– Only sounds that will be heard when trains pass will be wind from vents
– Access will be maintained to Unitarian House throughout construction for both public and emergency vehicles.
– Properties that may be expropriated for construction may be Kristy’s and Dave Rennie’s – under discussion. Looking to mitigate how much and how potential properties may be used. There are 4+ properties under review. Existing sewer lines are also under consideration in route engineering.
– NCC interested in bundling the NCC parkway, road work and parkland work with the WLRT project.
– There will be noise and vibration specification and monitoring post the construction for running of the trains.
– Train wheels to be “resilient”: metal with polymer (damping)
– Construction access – possible staging areas ie Rochester park TBD. No more than 2-3 trucks waiting to remove construction debris at a time.
– Trains to come every 4 minutes at an average speed of 35km with 600 passengers
– Plans to have 50% reduction of buses in downtown core. OC Transpo looking at busing plans post LRT Phase 1 and Phase 2.
– Top 3 concerns heard so far – construction, station design (access and security), and full train use impact to surrounding neighborhoods.
– Contact project team at stage2@ottawa.ca

Questions collected and submitted by the MPCA executive, answered by LRT Stage2 project team

The Environmental Assessment Process

When will it begin?

The planning process for the Confederation Line West project commenced in 2009, with City Council approval of the Statement of Work. Between 2010 and mid-2015, the city undertook a comprehensive study of alternative corridors, alignments and designs. Last July, City Council approved the functional design for the WLRT extension, which defined the project to be assessed as part of the EA stage.

The City will be using the provincial Transit Project Approval Process (TPAP) to obtain EA approval, and we expect to file our Notice of Commencement for this project early in 2016.

The best resource to learn more about this process is a guide published by the Province of Ontario: Ontario’s Transit Project Assessment Process, January 2014. It is on the web at: https://dr6j45jk9xcmk.cloudfront.net/documents/1799/3-8a-6-ea-transit-projects-en-pdf.pdf

The City adheres to the provincial TPAP regulations. This guide describes the terms and key steps in the process, types of notification and who is to be consulted and how. The TPAP process focuses on matters of provincial significance and Aboriginal treaty rights. The assumption is that local planning matters, including location of the project, have been addressed by the proponent prior to initiating the EA.

Some milestones are described below:

The Notice of Commencement – This process signals the formal TPAP process. Project information, which is basically all the work done to date during the planning phase including Council resolution, is posted on the project website and all interested parties are invited to review the materials during the 120-day public review period. The Notice of Commencement is posted publicly (city website and newspapers) and sent to all regulatory agencies, Aboriginal communities, adjacent landowners and interested persons. The Notice of Commencement is scheduled to be issued in early 2016 (February or March)

Environmental Project Report (EPR) – This is the formal report that documents the entire study process including all consultation efforts (issues and responses), all technical findings, staff reports and study recommendations.

Notice of Completion – This is issued when the final EPR document has been completed. The EPR will be made available for a final 30-day public and agency review period. The document is placed in a number of locations where it can be accessed and reviewed by the public. The Notice of Completion is scheduled to be issued in the summer (June) 2016. Written comments are submitted to the City and the Ministry of Environment. After 30 days, the Ministry reviews the project file, written comments, and renders a decision. The Minister has 35 days to issue approval or direct additional work to be undertaken to satisfy TPAP requirements. The Minister’s approval may also include conditions which the proponent needs to meet. The entire EA process including approval is expected to be completed by fall 2016.

What issues will it cover?

The focus of the EPR is on impact assessment, mitigation and future project commitments – specifically on matters of provincial significance and Aboriginal treaty rights. In addition, other key considerations for the Western LRT Corridor Planning and EA study were laid out in the approved statement of work and include the following:

o Ridership potential for all feasible options and travel time savings;
o Coordination with/incorporating the results of the ongoing LRT Technology review;
o Integration with existing communities and planned land uses;
o Potential to promote and advance transit-oriented development;
o Visual, cultural landscape and heritage attributes;
o Impact on green spaces and natural areas including the Ottawa River Parkway corridor, Ottawa River;
o Access to pedestrian, cycling and multi-use pathway facilities;
o Geotechnical conditions;
o Urban environment / design;
o Environmental characteristics;
o Capital and operating costs;
o Construction phasing and detours;
o Consultation with NCC; government agencies; adjacent communities and the general public.

Who can participate and will there be public meetings to allow community involvement?

A comprehensive consultation program was carried out during the planning phase of this study, which included several rounds of public engagement at key milestones in the study process. Each round consisted of meetings with the Agency, Business and Public Consultation Groups prior to a Public Open House. There have been several consultation events on the Western LRT project since 2013 leading up to its approval at Committee and Council last summer. Ni further public open meetings are planned. As noted above, the City can take up to 120 days to consult further during the EA phase, and once the Notice of Completion is filed, any member of the public has 30 days to review and comment on the EA process and documentation to the Minister.

Construction Impacts

Noise and vibration and their impact on adjoining residents; hours when noise will be most evident and how you intend to minimize the impact on residents?

It is best to discuss these issues in general terms at this point, as many of the specific details with respect to construction techniques, activities and schedule will not be confirmed until after a proponent is awarded the contract for construction. This is because these details as to how construction impacts will be mitigated and any prescriptive construction techniques or methods become embedded within the Project Agreement and result from discussions with adjacent property owners and noise sensitive receivers in negotiation with the City. Noise and vibration thresholds will be set and these levels can be monitored. Loud continuous noise and vibration levels are not expected. The geotechnical investigations that are currently underway will help to determine the appropriate construction techniques such that construction vibration and noise can be limited to provincially and municipally acceptable levels.

The expected impacts from construction of the LRT line will be limited to isolated and local surface construction projects generating occasional minor ground vibrations, fumes and dust, as well as intermittent noise. Common mitigation measures should make use of moveable noise barriers around the perimeter of the work areas, extensive water spraying to control dust, and implementing daytime hours of operation to avoid night time impacts when background noise is lowest. In all cases, air quality, noise and ground vibrations are not expected to be disruptive to commonly occurring regular activities.

For noise and vibrations, common control methods include but are not limited to:
(i) Limit speeds of heavy vehicles within and approaching the site
(ii) Provide compacted smooth surfaces, avoiding abrupt steps and ditches
(iii) Install movable barriers or temporary enclosures
(iv) Keep equipment properly maintained and functioning as intended by the manufacturer

Dust and debris resulting from construction and how you intend to minimize it

It is expected that the Contractor will employ common practices to reduce dust such as water spraying. In addition, an inspector will ensure the site remains clean, safe and that detours are accessible. ‎

Impacts during construction on infrastructure and services – Hydro, phone, cable, water, sewage, gas services. What impacts are expected and how long might they last?

Utility services will be maintained throughout the construction period, although there may be short, planned shutdowns in order to switch to temporary facilities from time to time (water, for example; hydro service and other utilities may undergo short shut-offs). Notifications will be provided to potentially impacted residents.

Property damage during construction, such as damage to foundations and vegetation

Pre- and post-construction surveys will be performed at properties adjacent to the construction zone in order to document and protect property owners from damages as a direct result of LRT construction activities.

Impact on trees along the Parkway, and on properties that will be used during construction

The 100-day solution alignment better protects existing tress and foliage (20-metre buffer from NCC property line to the south). In addition, the NCC has a stringent tree compensation policy which will serve to incent contractors to avoid tree removal where possible. Some NCC lands along this section may be used for construction staging and mobilization areas. In addition, temporary lanes may be implemented to ensure traffic and transit detours through the corridor during construction. All of these possibilities will be subject to NCC approval.

Will areas like Rochester Field, the Byron Strip and Skead be used for storage or preparation of materials?

We have yet to do a full assessment of potential staging areas for the entire Stage 2 project. Rochester Field is the most likely candidate on this list. Other properties required for construction of the project may also be made use of as temporary staging areas.

City Officials will be aware that a number of these issues are of particular importance to members of the Unitarian community, and that a number of people from the Unitarian community feel that issues remain unanswered after the recent meeting there

The City strives to answer all questions as additional information becomes available. Many of the remaining issues pertain to construction techniques and timing – which can only be answered once a contractor is selected to undertake the work.

Traffic Impacts During and After Construction

With respect to traffic and transit detours, a number of options are being explored, and these too will not likely be confirmed much in advance of 2018. After construction, there should be little to no traffic impact caused by the LRT, and the additional transit access and capacity will help manage traffic growth city-wide.

How long will Richmond Road be closed during construction and where will traffic be rerouted?

We anticipate that Richmond Rd. could be under construction for up to two construction seasons. Along Richmond Rd. during construction, from Cleary to New Orchard, it is quite likely that Byron will provide detours as segments of the tunnel are constructed under the existing right-of-way. This will likely cause traffic impacts on both Richmond and Woodroffe Ave. At this time, staff are looking at ways to keep temporary lanes in service along the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway for both traffic and transit. However, there may be a reduction in capacity during this time.

Impact on traffic through the community – will streets be closed off or modified during construction; can we expect traffic congestion and delays to occur?

With any construction project of this nature, some traffic impacts will be felt. The City will work to ensure that any detours do not serve to contribute to cut-through traffic as we appreciate there is already concerns regarding cut-through traffic between Richmond and Carling today.

How do you intend to manage car and cycling traffic when the Dominion to Tunney’s Pasture section is closed for construction, and when the Dominion to Lincoln Fields section is closed?

There are a number of options being explored to facilitate the construction of the Confederation Line West Extension from Tunney’s Pasture to Dominion. The Transitway will need to be temporarily closed east of Dominion Station. Options to provide supplemental service during this time include running additional transit service along sections of Carling, Woodroffe, Richmond, Churchill, Scott, Holland, or the Parkway. With respect to the section from Dominion to Lincoln Fields, the Parkway could continue to provide reliable Transitway service with some temporary lane adjustments to accommodate construction.

What impact do you foresee on Byron during and after construction?

Staff are in the process of getting public feedback on a connectivity study.

How will you ensure the character of our neighbourhood doesn’t change due to traffic, kiss and ride activity and parking on Byron and side streets?

In general, the LRT will help reduce traffic growth in the neighbourhood by offering more convenient access to transit for many trips. Kiss and ride and parking activity in the vicinity of stations in the McKeller Park area are intended to meet the needs of the more local community and will need to be managed through physical design (e.g. provision of formal, limited facilities where appropriate) and enforcement of curbside regulations.

How will existing bus routes be affected by construction, and what will bus routes through the community look like once the line is in operation?

The Project Agreement and procurement documents will be structured to minimize transit impacts during construction but there will be bus detours and bus service adjustments that will be minimized and spread out along multiple potential corridors (e.g. Carling Avenue, Richmond Road, SJAM, etc.) as much as possible. Work will be done in 2016 to determine the best detour routes. Post construction, bus routes will be adjusted to complement the LRT operation. For example, it is anticipated that some local bus activity will be reconfigured with the provision of stations at Cleary and New Orchard to the O-Train LRT system, but it is too early to determine how.

Operation of the Line

When do you expect construction to finish and the line to begin operating?

Revenue service is planned to commence in 2023. It is possible that the line could open in stages. For example, the segment from Tunney’s Pasture to Lincoln Fields opening sooner (e.g. 2021). This would reduce the length and duration of bus detours needed.

Is there any noise to be expected during LRT operation?

Where the LRT runs in a tunnel, there will be no increase is noise levels during operation of the LRT. Work undertaken to date indicates marginal increases in noise levels from existing conditions where the LRT runs along the surface, but those levels are less than that made by buses and do not exceed provincial standards. It should be noted that even if mitigation is not explicitly required, best practices entail use of features to minimize noise (e.g. continuously welded rail, resilient track fasteners, ballast mats) and will form part of the Project Agreement.

Vibration during LRT operation, and impact on adjoining buildings

Vibration related to the operations of the LRT system will be imperceptible to the adjacent community and also do not exceed provincial standards. As with noise control, best practices for LRT construction entail use of features to reduce vibration even where mitigation is not required.

Effect on existing infrastructure – roads, cycling and walking paths

These will all be enhanced as a result of the project, specifically along the Richmond/Byron Corridor (Golden to west of MacEwen)

Impact on existing ground water flows and on sewer and storm water lines

Any impacts to ground water flows are expected to be temporary and insignificant during construction. Impacts to sewer and storm water lines will be addressed through utility relocation works and will not affect functioning of these elements.

The following can be discussed Monday…

Placement and Design of Stations

  • Design issues around Cleary station – where will the public access points be, how many people are expected to use the station on most days, impact on traffic on Cleary and Richmond Road as well as on Byron and adjoining side streets, how much noise and garbage can be expected?
  • Security issues around Cleary station – lighting, vandalism, graffiti, loitering

The Route and How/When the Final Alignment Will Be Decided

  • How much flexibility is there in the actual route? How will final route alignment be affected by consultation during the EA process, and when will these sorts of decisions be made? Will the community be given information when such decisions are being considered?
  • There is a general understanding in the community that the City may be considering a route that goes through the existing strip mall at 747 Richmond Road as a way of avoiding use of the Unitarian property. Would this decision be part of the EA process? What factors would go into a decision on the use of 747?

It is premature to speculate on the consideration of other route alignment options. The approved route was endorsed by Council in the summer of 2015 and the Environmental Assessment is being prepared based on that route. The EA will be circulated to technical agencies for review and feedback. The EA is an initial strategic document providing the analysis and guidance for a project in an iterative multi-phase design process. During the upcoming preliminarily engineering phase, some of the more challenging areas will be reviewed in finer detail. For example, one of the areas the preliminary engineering team is looking at in terms of refining the EA includes the area around 747 Richmond Rd. With greater available information and refinements, and depending on timing, it may be possible to have this recorded in the EA documentation.



November 9th, 2015 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attending: Rich, Lesley, Sybil, Dan.
Absent: Stella, Nadia, Tina.

1. Minutes approved from Oct 5th meeting.
2. Sybil to set up meeting for MPCA and Westboro residents with city Planning office re: Western LRT, EA, Timeline, Dominion Station, Cleary Station.
3. Sybil and Dan to attend Unitarian meeting with City Planners on LRT.
4. Sybil to send response to Newswest re: Rochester Field.
5. Stella has agreed to be MPCA rep on city wide tree committee.


October 5th, 2015 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Office meeting room, 655 Richmond Road

Attendees: Nadia Thorne, Rich Brandau, Sybil Powell, Lesley Taylor
Absent: Tina Casey

1. FCA – are we interested in partnering with like minded community assoc. for the next four year on transit ,traffic, pedestrian and road safety enhancements. See Lesley’s email of September 10th

Action – Nadia interested in participating in initiative with other communities.
Action – Nadia/Sybil to attend FCA meeting. FCA meeting October 6, 9PM Hintonburg.

2. CAFES– Revised list of priorities. Nadia

Transportation committee meeting Oct. 7th  Nadia
See Nadia’s emails Sept. 30th and Oct. 1st and Tina’s email Sept. 30th

3. Transit – Sherbourne walking audit/Byron/Other

Action – Nadia to send electronic survey to Rich to post on MCPA website
Action – Nadia to send email to Jeff re monitor on corner of Sherbourne/Dovercourt ** which has now been removed

4. Finances – Signatories need to be changed

5. Parks

Byron Linear – trees being planted
Tillbury – no news
MP off leash/ off hours dog park request update
Rochester zoning.
Trees – Champlain Park etc. are looking for someone to be part of tree group. Julie did this in the past.

Action – Stella to send input to school board to use school property as off leash parks during non-school hours
Action – Sybil to send Stella information re tree committee

6. Demolition permit on at 727 Windermere. – a detached garage.
Have we figured out who is getting the committee of adjustment notices?

7. Refugee update Info on where to seek information on Jeff’s ward newsletter. Look at unitedforrefugees.ca
Action – Rich to put info on website – pointers to Jeff and City info

8. Jeff’s ward letter City looking at allowing people to have Carriage houses – should our zoning committee look at that?
Action – Dan to go to budget consultation
Action – Sybil to ask Julie to look at Carriage houses if it impacts our neighborhood
Action – Jeff has a Pop up Oct 7 – Rich to go

9. Other –
Action – Stella to draft request for assistance from community for incorporation
Action – Sybil to follow up re any outstanding issues

10. Housekeeping – please clean up all candidates’ debate signs


September 9th, 2015 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Dovercourt Recreation Centre

Attendees: Nadia Thorne, Rich Brandau, Sybil Powell, Tina Casey

Absent: Lesley Taylor (at FCA meeting)

  1. Previous MinutesMinutes Approved with addition of online voting re the Fall Festival
  2. All Candidates debate. October 1st . What do we need to do? – final version of flyer available/printed. Our neighborhood likely to be largest. 5 party candidates have agreed to attend 6 community associations. Moderator to be Amanda Pfeffer (CBC). Each community association to pose a question.

Rich to task for assistance needed for all candidates meeting.

Subcommittee reports:

  1. Traffic :

Sherbourne Rd. Walking audit Sept. 14th. – review media advisory and post on McKellar Park Website

Byron – Post Sherbourne lessons learned in prep for Bryon initiative. Opportunity to combine efforts with three community associations, McKellar Park, Carlingwood and Westboro.

Other – Rochester fields – opportunity to work with Westboro

Communication –

  1. WLRT Mitigation meeting scheduled for Sept. 10th
    • provincial environmental assessment
    • Rochester field zoning to reflect 110 day agreement.
  1. Parks – resident request for assistance in securing an off leash / off hours dog park at MP.
  • How should we approach this?

Received request for off-leash dog park in McKellar Park. More information has been requested.

  1. Refugee crisis

– Resident request for MPCA to take leadership role to help facilitate residents to form groups to bring on refugees. Resident request that MPCA indicate to politicians that they need to do more to help refugees

Jeff Leiper convening meeting on Sept 17th to marshal Kitchissipi resources re the Syrian crisis. Post on MPCA.

Sybil to attend meeting, letter to Mayor, Provincial and Federal representatives to follow.

  1. Fall Festival cancellation wrap up – Follow up with Westboro Business BIA. Collecting best practices. Start planning of next year’s Fall Festival in January with completion of planning by end of May.
  2. Demolition permit issued for 512 Fraser.
  3. Ward Council comments.
  4. Do we need a new secretary? – Nadia to provide minutes each meeting
  5. Future meetings – Office at Sybil’s condo Wednesday nights in 7th at 7:30 at 655 Richmond office. First Wednesday in each month thereafter.

August 10th, 2015 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

McKellar Park Field House

Attendees: Nadia Thorne, Rich Brandau, Sybil Powell, Lesley Taylor, Tina Casey

Absent: Julie Pandeya, Dan O’Hagan

Agenda:

  1. Minutes Communication
  2. Fall Fair (Tina)
  3. All candidates Meeting
  4. FCA Meetings
  5. Ward Meetings
  6. MCPA Meetings
  7. Traffic Calming (Tina/Nadia)
  8. Discuss Committee descriptions as a group for posting to the Web-site
  9. Other Items

Minutes:

  1. Previous Minutes – Approved July 13 meeting minutes and will post on MCPA web site newly created Meeting minutes page as document link.
  2. Fall Fair – Julie sent notes from last year. Still in planning stage. Reviewed last year’s sponsorship package – needs to be revised. Fall Festival tentative date Sunday Sept 27th with no rain date. In event of rain date, sponsors monies to be used for future events with recognition of their contribution or refunded on prorated basis. Budget limited to monies received from sponsors.

Action: Determine sponsors. Need to ensure sponsors by end of next week with an associated go/no go decision at that time.

Action: Determine number tickets sold. – Leslie

Action: Contact Ozzie at Dovercourt post decision – Option to re-use house of pizza. – Nadia

Action: Look at Loblaws for sponsorship, cake, juice boxes etc. Decision to not sell bottled water. May need to borrow large water container from Dovercourt

Action: Ask Alecia how food managed – Tina

Action: Inquire about sourcing stage

Action: Look at entertainment opportunities – RBC sponsorship?

  1. All candidates meeting – MCPA will help out day of. Rich to be lead. MCPA allowed one question. Executive to decide one question.

Action: need to reply MCPA still interested and we will be prepared to do more. Rich prime

  1. Ecology – Save the trees – meeting on August 12th concerning Nepean. No one to attend.
  2. Ward Meeting – Aug 22nd – Sybil will attend
  3. FCA Meetings – Sept 9th Jules Morin Park – Leslie to attend, Oct 6th Hintonburg, Nov 2nd Manotick TBD to attend
  4. MPCA Meetings – 2nd Monday of each month – looking for locations Oct onward. No Oct meeting unless required.
  5. Traffic Calming

Sherbourne:

We are trying to get some traffic calming measures put in place on Sherbourne as walking traffic is not safe. There are limited cross walks traversing Sherbourne and in particular abnormally large intersections at Saville and Dovercourt.

This is an initiative for both MPCA and Carlingwood associations.

This becomes increasingly important as the school boarders have changed and Woodroffe grades 7/8 now have the choice to attend Broadview. Also will a factor with Phase 2 of the LRT with Cleary station.

Embarking on a 3 prong approach:

1. City Full traffic assessment (cars)

2. Walking Audit – Ecology Ottawa

3. Cycling Audit – Citizens for Safe Cycling

  • Ottawa City Traffic department has put Sherbourne on list for Full Traffic Study but there are other streets already on the list so timeframe TBD.
  • Walking Audit Survey Question to be selected at August 24th joint meeting. Ecology Ottawa volunteers already going door to door distributing flyers and discussing the planned Sept 14th Walking Audit.
  • Citizens for Safe Cycling is interested in getting involved with the project and plan to attend August 24 meeting.

All data collected from Walking and Cycling Audit as well as any from City Full traffic report will be included in Sherbourne report to be presented to both MCPA and Carlingwood City Councillors and press.

Byron: Interested in discussing Byron Avenue with Ecology Ottawa re strategy recommendations. There was a meeting at Mark Taylor office re Bryon/Woodroffe. Also need to understand plan in progress for Byron avenue east. People may be looking for more stop signs (Wavell) as well as pedestrian markings at Byron and Broadview.

Action: Slow down signs – send link to Rich

  1. Discuss Committee descriptions as a group for posting to the Web-site – posted

ADDENDUM

On August 22nd, an update from the Co-chairs of the Fall Festival was delivered by email informing the executive of the proposed budget for the event and informing that one of the event’s coordinators effectively resigned.  A motion was proposed:
Motion: The Fall Festival Committee may proceed with the Fall Festival with a $2100 sponsorship budget and with only 2 coordinators.
Votes were collected by email: Stella-No, Rich-No, Tina-No, Dan-No, Nadia-No, Lesley-No
The motion failed.

July 13th, 2015 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

McKellar Park Field House

Attendees: Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Julie Pandeya, Sybil Powell, Lesley Taylor, Tina Casey

Absent: Nadia Thorne

1    Executive Meeting Calendar & Committee

October Meeting has been reset to October 8th. Feb confirmation is required. Sybil will ensure the Field House is accordingly booked.

President – Sybil Powell
Vice President – Stella Militano
Treasurer – Lesley Taylor
Secretary – Julie Pandeya
Web Site – Rich Brandau
Members at Large – Tina Casey, Nadia Thorne

Committee membership is below in Item 8. Lesley was going to confirm Jimmy Cheng’s participation in the Zoning Committee.

2  Fall Fair

The budget was sent to the Fall Fair Committee. Fundraising document needs to be sent out to the community. The budget information includes all merchant contacts.

General bookings should occur in the next two weeks.

The Committee needs to present a proposal for food (excluding water) to ensure feasibility

3    Traffic Committee

The Sherbourne Committee of 8 people has scheduled a traffic study, but it may still exclude some of our areas. The Executive discussed if we should poll the Byron neighbours on concerns in order to determine if an effort is required for a traffic study.

4    LRT Committee

Randy Gordon has agreed to participate in this sub-committee. Dan will organize the group to determine objectives that should be set based on upcoming milestones/decisions related to the LRT Project.

5    All Candidates Meeting

Dan will inquire with Lorne Cutler regarding a Federal All Candidates meeting.

6    Boundaries

Jeff Leiper has advised boundaries relating to communities are not necessarily formal. He suggested MCPA discuss the boundary issue with Westboro Community association directly and ensure the missing houses in the boundaries map are properly claimed.

7    Mailboxes

An Email has been sent to Paul Dewar, but no significant facts have been provided. Canada Post has commenced installing Community mailboxes in Westboro.

8    McKellar Park website updates

Julie created the following summary and requested each member of the respective committees review the commentary to ensure it reflects the objectives of the Committee. It would be ideal to post the objectives on our website so interested community members can better understand process and how they can contribute or provide feedback.

Committees:

  1. Traffic Committee – Nadia Thorne, Neeta McMurtry, Tina Casey, Stella Lamba, Seema Lamba, Sybil Powell

    The committee will deal with all internal neighbourhood traffic issues and partner with other bordering communities and Jeff Leiper as needed to offer input into necessary traffic calming measure. It is anticipated that sub-committees may arise depending on the exact traffic issue.

  2. Parks & Environment – Tina, Neeta, Julie Pandeya, Rich Brandau

    The committee will work with the community and Jeff Leiper’s office to ensure we are communicating park needs and priorities. It will also continue to work with the broader Kitchissippi Tree Group that has worked to influence the City Environment committee to review the adherence to City Tree policies. Lastly, it will also include participation as required with the NCC in regards to the Linear Park along SJAM Parkway.

  3. Zoning & Development – Julie, Lesley Taylor, Stella, Jimmy Cheng (?), Rich

    The committee will be responsible for communicating new zoning and development initiatives that impact our neighbourhood residents and will play an active role where there are community concerns. This will include any potential developments and zoning changes resulting from the LRT

  4. Transit Committee – Dan O’Hagan, Sybil, Alex Campbell, Ian Joiner

    The committee will deal with all issues arising from the LRT including Cleary Stations, LRT, Mitigation of bus routes; some of these issues may be dealt jointly with the Traffic and Environment committees. It is anticipated that sub-committees may arise depending on the exact LRT issue.

  5. Community Activities & Fundraising – Tina, Stella, Julie

    The committee will focus mainly on the Fall Fair community event and others. It expected there will be sub-committees for any other special events.


June 18, 2015 Meeting of the MPCA Executive

Lesley Taylor’s house

Attendees: Rich Brandau, Dan O’Hagan, Julie Pandeya, Sybil Powell, Lesley Taylor, Nadia Thorne

Absent: Tina Casey

1    Executive Meeting Calendar

It was agreed the committee would meet every second Monday of the Month; meeting times/dates will be amended as needed based on anticipated attendance. This has been calendared for the rest of the year, but we will need to adjust October 12, 2015 (Thanksgiving) and Feb 15, 2016 (Family Day).

2    Executive Roles & Committees

Given Tina’s absence we did not finalize all roles

President – Sybil was nominated and will give it consideration; will not finalize without input from Tina
Vice President – Stella
Treasurer – Lesley Taylor
Secretary – Julie Pandeya
Web Site – Rich Brandau
Community Relations – Tina?

Committees:

  1. Traffic Committee – Nadia Thorne, Neeta McMurtry, Tina Casey, Stella, Seema Lamba, Sybil Powell

    The committee will deal with all internal neighbourhood traffic issues and partner with other bordering communities and Jeff Leiper as needed to offer input into necessary traffic calming measure. It is anticipated that sub-committees may arise depending on the exact traffic issue.

  1. Parks & Environment – Tina Casey, Neeta, Julie Pandeya, Rich Brandau

    The committee will work with the community and Jeff Leipers office to ensure we are communicating park needs and priorities. It will also continue to work with the broader Kitchissippi Tree Group that has worked to influence the City Environment committee to review the adherence to City Tree policies. Lastly, it will also include participation as required with the NCC in regards to the Linear Park along SJAM Parkway.

  2. Zoning & Development – Julie Pandeya, Lesley Taylor, Stella, Jimmy Cheng (?), Rich ?

    The committee will be responsible for communicating new zoning and development initiatives that impact our neighbourhood residents and will play an active role where there are community concerns. This will include any potential developments and zoning changes resulting from the LRT

  3. Transit Committee – Dan O’Hagan, Sybil Powell, Alex Campbell, Ian Joiner

    The committee will deal with all issues arising from the LRT including Cleary Stations, LRT, Mitigation of bus routes; some of these issues may be dealt jointly with the Traffic and Environment committees. It is anticipated that sub-committees may arise depending on the exact LRT issue.

  4. Community Activities & Fundraising – Tina Casey, Stella, Julie Pandeya

    The committee will focus mainly on the Fall Fair community event and others. It expected there will be sub-committees for any other special events.

3    Signatories for Bank Account

Currently Seema Lamba (past president), Lesley Taylor (treasurer) and Stell (VP) are bank signatories. Nadia Thorne will replace Seema Lamba as a signatory.

4    Boundaries

There is a question whether some of the homes on Denbury are part of McKellar Park Community. Since the community map is unclear Jeff Leiper’s office will be queried by Rich.

5    Mailboxes

It is unclear what process Canada Post is undertaking to determine where and when mailboxes will be installed in McKellar Park. Sybil will inquire with Paul Dewar and provide a status in the next meeting.

6    Fall Fair

Committee should discuss key factors before agreeing to move forward with another Fall festival. It was a welcome event last year, but we did lose money. The loss was attributable to printing costs. Printing could be eliminated in lieu of offering more social media acknowledgement of sponsors and allowing individual activity sponsorship. The Committee will have a proposal for the next meeting